Streetcar success in Kansas City – Click here for story
The Wave Streetcar is coming to the City of Fort Lauderdale.
- The Wave Streetcar brings a modern transit service to Downtown Fort Lauderdale and is the first project of a planned regional transportation system within Broward County.
- This streetcar transportation system will be a vital component of the overall transportation network and provide options that support mobility in the region.
- The Wave is part of an integrated approach to public transit and will complement the full spectrum of mobility options including Brightline, Tri-Rail, Sun Trolley, buses, ride-share services, biking and walking.
- The Wave Streetcar has strong support from all the project partners, Federal, State, County, and City. The Broward MPO, DDA, and SFRTA also continue to be active and supportive partners in both project approach and funding.
- The Wave supports and directs growth to the urban core of the County, where increased development intensity is not only permitted but planned and encouraged.
- Investment in the Wave has helped spur major private investment in Downtown Fort Lauderdale with more than $3 billion of real estate development planned, approved, under construction or completed within the past five years. The system is already beginning to pay for itself through increases in property value and real estate investment.
- This first project phase will include the latest battery powered technology to allow the streetcar to go off wire for approximately ½ mile during the 3rd Avenue bridge crossing. The streetcars will have the capability to be upgraded as technology evolves and the system expands.
- Recent streetcar systems across the country have realized significantly more riders than projections originally predicted, which is anticipated for the Wave streetcar as well.
- The project is on schedule to be awarded to a contractor this fall 2017. There is a complete funding plan in place which includes an executed Federal TIGER grant and will be solidified with the execution of the Federal Small Starts Grant, expected in July 2017.
- The Wave project partners are excited to bring this new premium transportation service to South Florida.
Fort Lauderdale is the cultural and economic center of Broward County, a world renowned tourist destination. Safe and effective public transportation connects people and creates a strong and vibrant community.
The need to invest in transit in downtown Fort Lauderdale first came to light in 2004, and the idea of a streetcar was hatched soon after. What began as a local downtown Fort Lauderdale streetcar system has transformed into a regional plan that will become the driving force of economic development.
The first phase of the Wave is a planned 2.6 mile streetcar system designed to move people in and around downtown Fort Lauderdale, spanning the New River to connect the hospital and courthouse districts on the south side with the downtown business core and government, education, shopping, recreation and entertainment centers on the north side. It will serve as a circulator/distributor system, with connections to regional bus and rail systems.